Learn how to apply a normal map to a bump channel.
- [Narrator] A normal map is a type of relief map…designed to give the illusion of fine details on a surface.…It's similar to a bump map but better.…A bump map records elevation which is…the height of the surface at that location.…But a normal map records directionality.…Each one of the three channels of red, green and blue colors…represent a direction in x, y, z space in a normal map.…
Let's create a normal map for our sculpture…and we can use substance to do that…because it has normal maps built into it.…I'll open up the material editor…and I've got my body physical material here…with a grading ramp feeding the base color…and the subsurface scattering color map.…Let's now create a substance node.…Drag substance over from the material map browser…and double-click it.…That loads it into the parameter editor.…
And then load a substance file in.…We're taken to our program files directory,…but as I said earlier, we want to back up those files…to our current project.…And in a previous movie, we did that.…And in fact, I can just pull from this history list.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.