Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Shaping the hub, part of Game Art: Model & UV Map a Low Poly Character.
- In this particular exercise, we are going to work…at shaping the hub that we've been working on…so as to have it play nicely when it comes time…to bake the details into a normal map.…Keeping these hard or harsh edges here…won't really work for us as we will want our normal map…to capture the same rounded edge detail…as we see on the high poly reference mesh here.…Let's select our low poly hood then.…Come over to the modify tab in the command panel…and then jump into edge of object mode.…
We want to select the edges on the extrude…sitting at the top, so both the upper and lower,…and then the same again down at the bottom of the mesh.…Hitting the Alt and L keys so as to create…a loop running all the way around.…Inside the edges panel on the ribbon…we want to Shift + click on the chamfer tool,…and then set a chamfer amount of 0.2 cm,…which will give us quite a wide chamfer,…as we can see in the view pod, and then we can click apply.…
We also want to chamfer the inner edges of the extrude,…so that we get some nice light-play on there.…
- Gamma and scale
- Setting up a scene
- Creation and shaping
- Using symmetry modifiers
- UV mapping
- Using guide objects
- Detailing and finishing
- Refining a model
- Prepping a model
- Exporting a model
- Fixing issues
- Normal map baking
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
1. Modeling and Unwrapping the Drive Wheel Assembly
2. Building and UV Mapping the Wheels and Tread
3. Creating and Mapping the Head
4. Modeling and UV Mapping the Piston Assembly
5. Final Modeling, FBX Export, and Normal Map Baking
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.