Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting viewport display options, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] For immediate feedback…on our lighting and exposure,…we should set up our display options in the physical camera.…I'll click on that in order to give it focus…and maximize it with Alt + W on the keyboard…and go into the shading modes here.…We got Standard.…Let's go directly to Lighting and Shadows…and set that to Illuminate with Scene Lights,…and now the sun is located behind the camera,…and we can see a little specular highlight…on the dome there.…
Back in our shading menu here,…we also have the ability to turn on Shadows.…If we do that, we'll get hard shadows here,…and they will fill in progressively.…They're a little bit grainy at first,…but now we can see those shadows appearing.…I don't really think it's necessary…in the viewport right now to be able to see those,…so I'll turn them back off again,…but I just wanted you to know that they were there.…There's also Ambient Occlusion,…which I don't recommend that you use.…It's just going to slow things down,…and we're not using Ambient Occlusion in this scene…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.