Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up render elements, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…In production, we want to have maximum control over the image.…And the best way to do that is to separate…each one of the render components out to its own file.…For example, we can have the diffuse stored separately…from the reflections, separately from the shadows and so on.…That way we can sandwich all of these…components together in a compositing program like After Effects.…And control each one separately and really fine-tune the look of the rendering.…One of the things that we want to do in this…case is to apply the ambient occlusion in post so that…we can control the amount of contact shadows, that are…applied to the diffuse and the reflection components of the rendering.…
So we need to cope with that first.…Let's go into the material editor.…Remember that there are multiple ways of applying ambient occlusion.…The conventional way is through the Arch and Design material.…We double-click on that.…Remember I mentioned that inside Arch and Design, in special…effects, there is an ambient occlusion switch and if we turn…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.