Splines by their very nature are 2D shapes by default. Thanks to 3ds Max's powerful modeling toolset we can convert these 2D shapes into usable polygon objects via their rendering tab. We can then use these polygon objects as a base to create more complex shapes.
- [Narrator] With the over the shoulder path…for our breastplate created and in place,…we may be wondering how we're going to turn this…into an actual polygon surface.…Well, there are a number of approaches…that we could take in 3ds Max.…For example, we could use either…the Luft or sweep tools in order to create…the exact shape that we want here.…We could also create a few more splines,…and then use the cross-section…and surface modifiers in order to…interpolate between the splines,…and so create a surface from them.…
However, because I know that we…are going to be using crease sets…along with an OpenSubdiv modifier,…so as to get the exact kind of…smoothing and edge creasing that we want,…I'm just going to take the simplest approach here…and use the available options for the spline object…that we have already created.…First of all then, let's click to select our spline,…and then come over to the modifier stack…in the command panel.…Now, at this moment in time, because we're using…an edit spline modifier to create the shape that we want,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.