Given that the Main doll is the focus of our product shot, we can quickly use a Vray light to set up a key light that will draw the viewers eye to the doll. Along with active shade then, we can preview and adjust our light to have highlights and shadows fall exactly where we want them.
- Whilst we have a light source present in our scene,…at this moment in time there is no way that we could claim…it has been set up to really capture…the essence or mood that we're wanting to create,…which is why in this exercise we're going to look at…turning our VRay plain light into a usable key light…for our product shots.…The very first thing we need to do, though,…is tidy up our scene a little.…With the VRay light selected then, let's,…in the scene explorer, right click in some empty space…and use the Create Layer command.…We can instantly rename this light and then also…rename the light object, calling it VRayLightKey.…
We do want to make a quick change to the light size,…and so, in the Modify tab, let's set length and width…half size values of two and two centimeters.…Now of course, we are going to want to point our light…at a very specific spot in the scene,…and one really cool, and yet, in my experience,…massively underused lighting tool that we have in Max…is the Highlight Align mode of the Align tool.…
- What is V-Ray RT?
- Using RT as an ActiveShade renderer
- Taking the options further
- Setting up a V-Ray RT project in 3ds Max
- Adding geometry and cameras
- Creating animation with V-Ray RT
- Setting up a particle system and deflectors
- Adding lighting
- Texturing and adding materials
- Adding render elements
- Adjusting render element parameters
- Compositing in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
Up and Running with mental ray in 3ds Maxwith Brian Bradley4h 7m Intermediate
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Introduction to V-Ray RT
2. Project—Setting Up the Scene
3. Project—Creating Animation
4. Project—Setting up the Lighting
5. Project—Working with Materials
6. Project—Working with V-Ray RT & Render Elements
7. Project—Compositing in After Effects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.