Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a custom output, part of 3ds Max: Substance to Arnold.
- [Instructor] To round out our look at using…Substance Designer with Arnold inside Max, we're going…to create a custom output that basically gives us the…ability to add a map to our wall material that doesn't exist…as a part of Substance Designer's…base metal rough configuration.…In this instance, we're going to combine the normal…and height maps that we already have and create a unique…and hopefully even more detailed displacement map…for ourselves, that we will call "Relief."…And of course, we do need to keep in mind…that the basic steps covered here can be used…to create any custom output channel or channels…that we may need.…
First of all then, inside the red brick graph, let's convert…our current normal map data to something that can actually…be used in a displacement channel, which we can do by…hovering our cursor over the graph view, hitting the…space bar to bring up the node menu,…and then typing the word "normal" into the search field.…In the fairly long list that appears, we have two nodes…that we could use here.…
- Why should we use substances?
- Choosing a substance workflow
- Using Bitmap2Material in 3ds Max
- Building up your material
- Working with substances and maps from the Designer application
- Using a substance with Arnold
- Improving your substance results
- Exporting your map types
Skill Level Intermediate
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. An Overview of the Substance Toolset
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from the Designer Application
4. Working with Maps from the Designer Application
5. Working with Maps from the Painter Application
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.