Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting up a custom output, part of 3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray.
- [Instructor] To round out our look at using…Substance Designer with V-Ray inside of 3ds Max,…we're going to create a custom output, here,…that, basically, gives us the ability to create a map…for our wall material that simply doesn't exist…in Substance Designer's base configurations.…In this instance, we're going to combine…the normal and height maps that we already have…in order to create a unique displacement map for ourselves…one that we will call relief.…Do keep in mind that the basic steps that we will cover,…here, can be used to create any custom output channel…that we want or need.…
First of all, then, inside the red brick export graph…let's convert our current normal map data…into something that can be used for displacement,…which we can do by hovering our cursor over the graph view…hitting the space bar to bring up the Node menu…and then typing the word normal into the search field.…In the fairly long list that appears,…we have two possible nodes that we could use, here,…so: Normal to Height and Normal to Height HQ…
- What are substances and why should we use them?
- Choosing your substance workflow mode
- Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
- Loading the Bitmap2Material node into 3ds Max
- Building your material
- Working with substances from Substance Designer
- Working with maps from Substance Designer
- Exporting the map types
- Exporting maps from Substance Painter
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
1. Overview of Substance Based Tools
The substance toolset4m 9s
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from Substance Designer
4. Working with Maps from Substance Designer
5. Exporting Maps from Substance Painter
What's next?1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.