Optimize the order of rotation operations.
- [Instructor] One of the main reasons for using…a free camera is to reproduce the action…of an actual tripod.…And to do that most fully, we can change the…axis order, or the order of rotations,…in order to prioritize different rotation axes.…So I've got a free camera here.…I can select it.…And I'll go to the rotate tool in gimbal…coordinate system once again.…And we have three axes for a camera.…We have the pan axis, which is left and right.…
We have the tilt axis, which is up and down.…I'll undo that with control Z.…And then we also have the line of sight axis,…or the Dutch tilt or canted angle.…All right, well you notice when I rotate…around the line of sight in gimbal mode,…the red X axis, which is the tilt axis,…is following the rotations.…And that's an indication that the axes…actually have an internal hierarchy.…
There is actually an internal order to…the operations for rotations.…And they're rotated by default in the…order x, y, and z.…And this is why we're seeing this result.…So if I rotate around z, the other two axes follow.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.