Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting ambient color in 3ds Max, part of 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- Before exporting an nfdx document,…we will also need to deal with the issue of ambient light.…3ds Max and Maya deal with…the ambient color of a material differently.…In Maya, if I increase the ambient color,…it will sort of glow from within.…In 3ds Max, if I increase the ambient color,…it will only glow from within if I've also…increased the ambient brightness in the environment dialog.…Let's look at that for just a sec.…Go into Rendering, Environment,…and you'll see there's an Ambient slot here…that doesn't exist in Maya.…
If we have an ambient color in a material in 3ds Max,…it will be multiplied by this value.…So, I could have an ambient color in Max that's very bright,…but as long as this is set to black,…we won't see any ambience.…Okay, so that's the sort of behind the scenes…of how it works.…Now, let's go into the Material Editor.…Go ahead and click on the Material Editor…and you'll see here I've got loaded up…mannequin head material and scroll up…to the top here so we can see it.…
The ambient color is, by default,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.