Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting Maya Grid options, part of Advanced 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- When sending scenes back and forth…between 3ds Max and Maya, I recommend that you choose…the same units of measurement in both programs.…The reason for this is, that if you just leave them…at their defaults, then when you export or import via FBX,…the FBX plugin will scale all of your objects accordingly,…and this can be a problem.…To avoid the issue, I recommend that you set everything…to centimeters in 3ds Max and Maya.…Let's take a look at the Maya side first.…
Go to the Preferences, Window, Settings Preferences,…Preferences, and the Settings section and you'll see…Working Units are defaulted to centimeter…for the linear working units.…You can change the linear working units, but that won't…affect objects in the scene, all it will do is change…the current system of measurement.…You can change this over to inch.…And now you can see that each grid square is a square inch.…
I don't recommend that you do this if you're going…back and forth between 3ds Max and Maya.…Just leave it at centimeter.…Additionally I want to mention that this Working Units…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.