Learn how to set the scale of material samples.
- [Instructor] When working with procedural textures,…such as a Noise pattern, it's very helpful…to control the size of the preview.…That way, you'll have a rough idea of the size…of the pattern in your scene.…To do that, you probably want…to choose a unit of measurement first.…I'll do that by minimizing the Material Editor,…go into the Customize menu and choose Unit Setup,…switch it over to Metric with a default units…of Centimeters, and click OK.…Back to the Material Editor,…which I've got minimized down here.…
Let's create a new Noise map just to keep things simple,…in the Maps section scroll down a bit,…and just drag a Noise over into the view,…and double-click it to load its parameters.…And we can also load a preview.…Right-click and choose Open Preview Window.…And we can dock that if we want.…Now, we see that we have a Size parameter here.…But even though we've chosen centimeters,…we don't know what this size represents.…There's no indicator of units here.…
It wouldn't necessarily help us,…because we wouldn't know whether that 25 units referred…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.