Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Setting the Customize UI and Defaults Switcher, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Before we begin our project, I'd like to take a moment to…set up the 3ds Max tool defaults and also the user interface.…We'll go into the Customize menu and choose Custom UI and Defaults Switcher.…On the left, we can choose the default tool…options, and the setting we want here is Designviz.mentalray.…And that's going to choose mental ray as the renderer, and…also set a whole bunch of other defaults as shown here.…On the right we have the user interface scheme.…
And I prefer a light colored interface with dark text.…So I'm going to choose AME light, which is Autodesk media and entertainment.…And when I click set, I get a dialogue, that comes up after all of the icons load.…And that dialogue says the default settings…will take effect the next time you restart.…So the interface has been changed now, but the tool…settings have not been changed yet until we restart the program.…Before we do restart, there's a couple other things I want to do in here.…I want to turn off the ribbon and also the view cube.…
And the ribbon I can turn off up here.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.