To get the most out of the scene, rendering can happen in passes. In this video, learn how to use 3ds Max's State Sets feature to render individual passes for later compositing.
- Now that we have a hero shot that we like … we can use that as the basis for other rendered layers. … Now these will help us to tweak and control … the final output that we will present. … Now we're going to start off with a very simple layer … and that's called the ambient occlusion layer. … And this will give you an overall sense … of the shading of the scene, and it can also be used … to help with shadows. … So we're going to do all of these layers with … something called state sets. … We can find those under rendering, state sets, … and as you can see it brings up this menu. … Now this menu has all of the different render layers, … or states, that we will be using in the scene. … By default, our state sets have just one state … and that is for our existing rendering. … So in other words, this will be our hero shot … since we just fine tuned that. … So let's go ahead and rename this layer, … and we're going to call that "Hero". … Now we can use this as the basis for other render layers. …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.