Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Self-illuminating a backdrop, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] In the previous movie we created…this environment backdrop object,…and set it up for a self-illuminated material…that will give us the ability to manipulate…the environment in the view port,…and optionally render against…a black background for compositing.…Let's set up our view to make it a little bit easier to see.…I've got hedge faces turned on here in the view port.…So in the perspective view I'll press F4 and turn those off,…and go back to a standard shading mode…in the physical camera.…Click on User Defined or whatever the middle most menu is,…and set that to standard.…
Open up the material editor,…and for self-illumination,…we want an arch and design material,…and that will be found under Materials,…Mental Ray, Arch and Design.…Just drag that over into the view.…Double click it to load it into the material parameters,…and rename it ENV self illum.…We're ready to assign it to the object now.…Drag from the output of the material…onto the sphere in the scene,…and now that assignments been made.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.