Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Selection tools, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Given that selecting and manipulating…sub-object elements on a UVW mesh lies at the heart…of the unwrap UVW modifier's workflow,…it really is important that we become familiar…from the get-go with the major selection features…that the modifier offers.…The good news for an artist who has done…any kind of polygonal modeling in 3DS Max, of course,…is that these controls and the way in which they work…will have a very familiar feel to them.…To make a start, let's, in the viewport,…select our robot's right hand,…and then jump into the command panel's Modify tab.…
Straightaway, we can see how things are going to be working,…in that we are now able to access a variety…of sub-object modes, such as Vertex, Edge, and Polygon.…Element mode does behave a little differently…than in the modeling tools, in that we can only access it…after one of the other sub-object modes as been enabled.…To demonstrate, let's jump into Polygon sub-object mode,…which of course gives us the ability to…select individual polygons on the UVW mesh.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.