If creating circle holes in square meshes was difficult, making sure they smooth properly can seem almost impossible. With a quick look at a model, you can tell that long thin polygons are not going to help smoothing issues. Removing large differences between adjoining polygonal faces can greatly help.
- [Instructor] When we created the screw holes…in our regulator clamp,…we did take note of the fact…that with the open subdiv modifier applied,…we were getting some unwanted stretching…or elongating of the holes,…which is exactly what we want to sort out now.…Coming to the editable poly level in the stack then,…let's press F4,…select one of the edges on the inside of our screw hole…and press alt R to ring select.…Doing the same for the hole on the other side…of the mesh as well,…whilst, of course, holding down the control key…to multiple select.…
If we go ahead now and turn the Show End Result option on,…we can preview the exact smoothing that we are getting.…And if we then shift click on the connect tool,…we can set this to a ping value of 66…and then click OK.…If we come out of sub-object mode now…and press F4, we see that this gives us…a nice circular hole.…Now, though, because we have these really long thin polygons…on either side, we are also getting some odd pinching…around the edges.…
Coming back to edges of object mode then,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.