Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Saving a geometry cache, part of 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- For simple character rigs that only invole…forward kinematics and bones,…then you can actually export that animation…complete with skinning to through FBX,…but if you have a complex character rig,…like these, it's unrealistic to expect…that all of those controls…will be translated over properly.…I've got these two characters…and their faces are driven by some…fairly sophisticated rigging systems.…I can't really expect that I will be able…to bring that over into 3dsMax,…so I need to create a geometry cache…for the two characters.…
That's simply recording the vertex positions on every frame…and discarding the rigs entirely.…Before we begin, we should save…to a new scene file because we're going…to do some very destructive acts.…We don't want to mess up what we have.…Rewinding back to frame one,…chose File, Save Scene As,…04_03_geometry_cache_baked.ma.…Click Save As.…Select all of the meshes on the characters.…That's easily done from the Outliner.…
Window, Outliner, open up EmmaMeshGroup.…Select the first object, hold down shift…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.