Manipulate an object in its native rotation space.
- [Narrator] To predictably control the rotations…of any object, including a camera,…I recommend that you choose Gimbal…as the reference coordinate system.…I'll select the camera in the view…and choose the Rotate tool…and just to refresh your memory,…we have different options…in the reference coordinate system.…The default is View…and that is equivalent to the world coordinate system.…I'll choose World, cause that's…a little bit more explicit.…
And in world coordinates, we're fine with panning,…rotating left and right…but we can't really tilt up or down…because those axes are not aligned with the camera…and we'll get very strange results.…And I'll undo that with Control Z.…For tilting, you'll want to switch over…to the local coordinate system.…And then rotate around X…and that's fine until you need to go back to panning…and you're back at the problem…of getting that unwanted, canted angle.…
I'll undo that once again, with Control Z.…So switching back and forth between local and world…is not really a very effective use of our time.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.