Set up and animate a camera jib arm.
- [Instructor] Our next compound camera animation…is a classic crane shot.…We'll emulate the way a camera moves…when it's mounted on an arm,…sometimes known as a gib.…And we'll accomplish that with a couple more helper objects.…I've already got a simple rig here,…as we've seen earlier in the course.…I've set the rotation order for the camera to Z, X, Z,…and I've linked it to a camera helper object.…
I'll select that object in the Top view,…and grab the Rotate tool and put it into Gimbal mode…to show you that it's rotated a little bit off…relative to the world grid.…It has a Z rotation of 30 degrees.…To build the complete rig let's neutralize that rotation…and set the camera helper's Z rotation to 0 degrees.…Next we'll create a couple more helper objects.…Go up to the Create panel and choose Helpers.…
We'll create another Point helper.…And create it right at the origin…where the camera is currently located.…So turn on 3D Snaps,…you might want to right-click…and make sure you're snapping to Grid Points,…and then click directly on the origin there.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.