Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Reshape UV elements, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] In this exercise, we're going to fix…the noticeable mapping problem that we see…on our character's body.…This time though, we're going to do so…using a completely different set of editor tools,…namely those found in the Reshape Elements rollout.…These options are a little bit more specialized…than the quick transform tools…that we used last time around in that…they have been designed to work particularly well…on areas of a mesh that contain lots of straight lines,…meaning they will probably be especially useful to artists…who spend lots of time mapping and texturing elements,…such as buildings and certain hard surface models,…given that they typically contain plenty of straight lines,…and so we'll need plenty of equally straight UVs…applying to them.…
To get started then, let's click to select…the problematic geometry and then…open up the UV editor window.…From the very start here, I am going to want to work…in polygon sub-object mode, and so let's select that option.…Use the middle mouse button to focus in on the problem area,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.