Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering volume lights, part of 3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lighting.
- [Narrator] To give the impression…of light passing through haze, smoke, or fog,…we can use an atmospheric effect called a volume light.…We've got a very simple scene here…with only a single key light.…I've got a photometric spot shining on the sculpture.…Let's add a volume light.…Select that spotlight,…and go to the Modify panel,…it is a Spotlight,…and I am using the same Attenuation values…as we previously did in the course.…And once again, it's a Disc shape…with a Radius of .15m.…
Scroll down a little bit farther in the Modify panel…to come to the Atmospheres & Effects roll out.…Click the Add button,…and in the Add Atmosphere or Effect dialogue…choose Volume Light and click OK.…Now the light has been connected to a Volume Light effect…in the Environment and Effects Dialogue.…We can shortcut to that…by just selecting Volume Light in the Modify panel…and then click Setup,…and that launches Environment and Effects.…
It would be the same if we had gone to the Rendering menu…and chosen Environment here.…Scroll down to the bottom of the Environment dialogue,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.