Render spline objects with 3D thickness.
- [Instructor] Shapes can be rendered directly…if we enable the appropriate parameter.…This is useful in cases where, for example,…we want to give thickness to this cord.…Now there are other ways to do this,…we saw that we could add thickness with a loft.…We could also add thickness with a sweep modifier,…we'll look at that later.…The easiest way, in this case, is to simply enable…the rendering switch in the editable spline object.…I'll select the cord, and go into the rendering rollout.…
And we see Enable in Renderer.…Turn that on, and now the cord will actually render,…but it will display as a spline.…And this is a useful situation in which maybe you've got…a very heavy scene with lots of splines…that you need to render.…So in this case, it's kind of trivial,…but if you have a very heavy scene,…this is going to come in helpful,…where you're rendering in the renderer,…but not in the viewport.…I've got the ART renderer loaded up,…and I can click on Render Production.…
And we can see that indeed,…we do have some thickness to that cord.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.