Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering our UV layout, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Some texture workflows may require an artist…to add hand drawn or hand painted elements to a material.…And whilst there are tools available…that allow for this to be done in 3D space,…viewport canvas being one example,…artists may oftentimes prefer or even need…to make use of 2D applications such as Photoshop,…Painter, and SketchBook Pro,…in order to access the vast array of painting tools…and effects that those programs make available.…In such instances we will probably need…to render a UV template out of 3ds Max…that can then be used as a reference guide by the artist,…informing them where particular details…will need to be placed in order for it to sit…in just the right spot on the 3D geometry.…
To start with then let's select our robot body geometry…and open up the UV editor window where we already have…an unwrapped solution nicely laid out.…To make things easier to read here,…I'm just going to click the checkered cube…found on the toolbar in order to turn the background image…as seen in our UV square off.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.