Animate a rack focus blur by distance.
- [Instructor] Our final special effect is a depth of field,…or bokeh effect, in which distance determines…the amount of blurring in a rendering.…This simulates the way a real camera works.…The amount of blur is based upon distance…and the size the aperture or iris.…Increasing the iris size, lowering the F number,…will result in a shallower depth of field.…And you can use this as a method…to direct audience attention…and we can also animate the focus distance…to create a rack focus effect.…
I've got a Physical Camera in the scene,…select that camera.…The easiest way may be to select the viewport label…and then choose Select Camera.…Go over to the Modify panel,…and scroll down a little bit…in the Physical Camera parameters.…Under Focus at the bottom of that you see a switch…to Enable Depth of Field, turn that on.…And now we see in the Perspective view and the ortho views…there are additional planes attached to the camera frustum.…
The center plane, which is a little bit more blue,…represents the focus distance,…which is driven by the Target Distance.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Improving productivity in the viewports
- Customizing display and camera options
- Rigging a camera for animation
- Controlling and keyframing rotations
- Prioritizing pan, tilt, and roll axis order
- Keyframing camera movement such as pan and dolly
- Keyframing compound camera movement
- Animating a camera crane or jib arm
- Animating a walk-through with Path Constraint
- Projecting an isometric view
- Defining motion blur parameters
- Blurring by distance with depth of field
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
1. Viewport Tips and Tricks
2. Working with Cameras
3. Rigging and Animation
4. Compound Camera Animation
5. Special Effects
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.