Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Rendering against black for compositing, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting.
- [Instructor] In this course we're focusing on…the effects we can achieve within 3ds Max.…But we do need to make a nod to compositing.…We need to talk a little bit about…how to export…the foreground out separately from the background…so that we can color correct the background…and foreground separately.…Or maybe add a different background entirely.…I should mention if you're doing a lot of compositing…you're going to want to save out to…an HDR file, such as EXR.…
And in that case, you're probably also going to want…to turn off Exposure Control.…But, let's look at a simpler case…in which all we really might want to do is…replace the background in post.…I've got a scene here in which I'm using…Mental Ray sun and sky.…Let's check in on all of that.…Press the H key.…And then select from Scene, open up Compass 001…and double click on Daylight 001.…And open up the Modify Panel.…So you can see we're using MR sky…and MR sun.…
And also open up the Environment Dialog…go to Rendering Environment.…And we can see that the MR physical sky…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2016)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.