Learn how to set the scene for testing a physical material.
- [Voiceover] In this chapter on hard surface materials,…we'll take a look at auto-desk's physical material.…It's an all-purpose material for physically based renderers.…We're going to be using A.R.T…or the auto desk rate tracer in this course,…but the principles that I show you…will also apply to other physical renderers…such as: Arnold.…The whole idea of the physical material…is that it's a simulation of reality…so it's a renderer agnostic.…
That means it should look the same in different renderers.…In my experience, the physical material renders…equally well under Arnold and A.R.T and…the results look so similar,…that it may be difficult to tell the difference.…The material work flow for P.B.R or…physically based rendering…is substantially different from older shady models…such as Glen and Fawn.…Physically based materials may be difficult to evaluate…in a genetic shader preview…because P.B.R. materials are very sensitive to…lighting and modeling concerns.…
A common practice when testing materials…is to use a full 3-D scene like the one to be used…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.