The hero pass is a full render of the scene with the lighting as close to final as possible. In this video, learn how to set up the render and look at the results.
- [Instructor] At this point, … my lights are set up so that they illuminate the building … the way that I want. … Now that we have this, … we can start to do our final rendering. … Now you can do the render as just one image, … straight out of the renderer, … but we're going to do what are called render passes … and so I'm going to do an initial, … what we call a hero image, … which is the best image we can get … with our existing lights and cameras, … and then I'm going to add in things such as … a reflection and a shadow pass, … so that we can make our image look even better. … So let's start off with the hero pass. … So we're just going to get the best image we can … out of this scene. … So let's go through our Render Setup options. … Now the first thing I want to do … is make sure we have the right aspect ratio. … Now when we render, … sometimes we render at reduced resolution, … so we want to make sure that we render … at the resolution we want for final output. … Now I'm going to render at HD resolution, …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.