Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Real-world mapping sizes, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] When creating scenes…that need to have a strong visual connection…to the real world…such as game levels, arch viz renders,…or matte paintings for film and/or broadcast,…an element that could be considered critical…to success will be that of Scene Scale.…Certainly if the scale of maps that we use…in our materials are off,…then the credibility of the project as a whole,…no matter how well executed in other areas,…well, it will certainly be damaged.…This may be a reason then for us to use…a feature of 3ds Max's mapping and texture and tool set…that has been designed to help us…easily and intuitively avoid creating scale problems.…
On the UVW map modifier side…this is called Real World Map Size…whereas on the Material Editor…and texture map side of things…the system is referred to as use real world scale.…Now, before we get to enabling and using…either of those control sets,…we will probably want to set some time aside…so as to set 3ds Max up in a manner that makes it intuitive…and easy to get the best results from them.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.