Learn how to render maps to disk from the Material Editor.
- [Instructor] Another way to quickly…and easily save out a file from a texture…is the Render Map command within the slate material editor.…And this has less functionality…than the Render to Texture dialog…but it may be useful if you just need to quickly save out…what you see in a particular map node…and basically make a larger version of the thumbnail…in the material editor.…But before you get to that point, there is one preference…that you're going to need to check in on.…
I recommend that you enable Convert File Paths to Relative…in your Customize settings except in this condition…in which you'll get an error message…so we need to disable that.…Go into Customize Preferences, in the Files tab,…if you have Convert Local File Path to Relative enabled,…turn it off and click OK.…And now we can go into the material editor…where I have prepared a simple shading network.…
And we have a substance node that is creating a diffuse map…and then I'm remapping those colors.…I want save out this map as a texture file…so all I need to do is just right click on the node…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.