Learn how to remap colors with function curves.
- [Narrator] Previously we saw house a color correction note…can be used in non-destructively alter…the colors of any map.…Let's look at an alternate way to do that,…using an output map.…This gives us the ability to adjust color function curves…very similar to the curves adjustment in Photoshop.…In the Render Setup Dialogue, I'm in active shade mode…with ART as the renderer with a…target quality of 28 decibels.…Let's open up the material editor.…
I've created three physical materials and assigned…each one to one of the parts of the sculpture.…We've got helmet, hair, and body,…and they're all preassigned to the objects in the scene.…For the helmet and the hair physical materials,…I've connected a bitmap to their diffused…color or base color map.…Let's enable or disable these so we can…these more clearly in the viewport.…Select the hair physical material and up on…the slate material editor toolbar we can disable…show shaded material in viewport.…
And here it is without any ambient occlusion…in the diffused channel.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.