Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Quick transforms for UV layout, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Once we start to work inside…the UV Editor window,…one set of tools that we will…quickly want to become familiar with…are the Quick Transform options.…These, as their name suggests, give us the ability…to quickly and easily manipulate some object selections…on a UV W mash.…Now you will probably have already noted that the mash…we see in our 3DS max view port,…has a little bit of a problem.…In that the mapping on the arm section…has clearly gone a little bit wrong.…This is what we're going to use the…quick transform tools to fix.…
Indeed, if I select the geometror,…jump over to the modify tab…and then open up the UV editor window,…we can easily see where the problem lies…given that our mapping mash has some very obvious…overlapping vertices.…To make certain that what we are looking at in the…editor window does correspond to the problem area…in the view port,…we can select either edges or polygons in the editor window,…and then just visually click…to select each of the problematic edges…and check that we have a corresponding selection…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.