Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Projecting images with Projector Map, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] 3ds Max photometric lights…give us the ability to project an image or a pattern…onto the scene, and that's called a projector map.…It works best with a spotlight distribution…because we can constrain the map…to the radius of the spotlight's falloff,…and I've got a spotlight here in the scene already,…and it's the only light in my scene.…I'll select it and go over to the Modify panel,…and as I said, we've got a spotlight distribution type.…I've chosen the shape to be point here…in Shape/Area Shadows, and that will make…the image that I'm projecting more crisp.…
Scroll down a little bit farther in the…Modify panel and open up Advanced Effects,…and you've got a slot for your projector map.…Click the button labeled None and in the…Material Map Browser we're going to choose…a Bitmap but we really could choose anything.…Double click on Bitmap and in our Select Bitmap Image File…dialog in our current project, Scene Assets Images,…we'll select UPC04-25_square.png and click Open.…
It's now been assigned as the projector map.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.