Control 2D map size and placement with a modifier gizmo.
- [Narrator] To apply a 2D map,…such as a bitmap or a FileMap onto a surface,…we need to supply instructions…on how to apply that 2D image onto a 3D surface.…And those instructions are known as…mapping coordinates or sometimes UVLayout.…U and V refer to the space of the image itself.…So U is the horizontal and V is the vertical dimension…of the 2D image.…
And that's different from…the 3D space of XYZ Cartesian coordinates,…because the UV space can wrap around…3D objects in complex ways,…like a piece of paper or a piece of rubber.…So it can be crumpled and folded in all sorts of ways.…So UV space is not the same as 3D space.…UV space is the space measured on the surface…of an imaginary texture.…Okay, so we've got bitmaps attached to…the physical material here,…and we've visualized those by making…the physical material display shaded materials…in the viewport,…but we're not seeing anything on the wall here…where that material is assigned,…except for a flat brown color.…
And it's because the wall has no UV coordinates.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.