Choose appropriate rotation axis order.
- [Instructor] In the chapter why you should use…the Gimbal coordinate system and how to set up…the access order or rotational priority…and we need to revisit that.…Any time we build a hierarchy, we need to make sure…that we set up the access order…in order to get predictable rotations…and that we always animate in Gimbal coordinates.…Let's review that, if I select one of these objects…like the shoulder, go over to the rotate tool,…I've previously rotated its pivot point…so that we can see in local coordinate mode,…it is oriented with the object itself.…
I rotated the pivot to match the object.…Let's go deeper, I'll right click on the rotate tool…and we get the rotate transform type in dialog.…If I just select the object and rotate,…we see that the rotation values always read out as zero…in the absolute mode, I'll undo that.…That's very strange, well that's kind of…a dead giveaway that local mode isn't really…the true rotations of the object.…
You're offsetting the true rotations…according to a point of reference…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.