Learn how to identify good UV mapping coordinates.
- [Instructor] The render to texture dialogue…allows you to save any map out as a bitmap file.…So you can convert from a procedural texture…to an external file texture…that could be read by any application.…And that's good for interoperability.…There are preconditions…before you can use render to texture.…All the objects must have good UVs…or good mapping coordinates.…And these three objects have pretty basic coordinates…but they will be suitable for this example.…
I can just show you one of them…if I select the helmet and go into the modify panel.…It's an XRef object, but I can stack modifiers…on top of that, from the modifier list pull-down.…I want to scroll near the bottom and choose unwrap UVW.…And then scroll down in the panel…and click edit UVs, open UV editor.…And we can see these two shells,…those are elements or shells of UVs.…
And they meet the requirement that the UVs don't overlap,…and they also meet the other requirement…for render to texture, which is, the UVs all fit…within the zero to one parameter space of the texture.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.