Before we begin making our cuts, it's important to make sure that the stencil is perfectly lined up with where we want to make the cuts. We can use the align tool to do this as well as make manual adjustments to the orientation, using 3ds Max's transformation tools set to use the local coordinate system.
- [Narrator] Having created the base shape…that we're going to be using to ultimately create…our helmet's viewing port, what we need to do…in this exercise is get it into position so…that it is ready for us to use.…Perspective view, then, let's swing around…and select our stencil.…You can see that we already have the metal guards…in place here from my previous modeling tests,…and so let's roughly match our shape…to that orientation here by pressing the E key…to engage our rotate tool,…and then rotating by 35 degrees.…
Now, depending in which view port you wish to do this,…the axis may change, which, as you can see,…nicely lines up our shape with the angle of the guard mesh.…Let's then engage the move tool,…set our coordinate system to local,…and then center our shade port.…If we press F4 to show edged faces,…we can see roughly where this is going…to line up to on our base mesh.…In fact, let's move this down so that it is sitting…more or less on the surface of our helmet mesh,…which just helps us more clearly see…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 48m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.