Learn how to perform basic polygonal modeling tasks with 3ds Max. This video goes over the general process of modeling objects in 3ds Max. In the video, George shows how to select vertices, edges, and polygons. He also uses tools such as chamfer, extrude and bevel to refine and add detail to basic objects.
- [Instructor] Now that we understand…how to create basic objects,…let's go ahead and go a little bit further,…and model those to create more complex ones.…Now, we're going to be working with…mesh or polygon editing here,…and then we'll go ahead and move into…curve-based editing in a little bit.…Now, mesh editing is basically accomplished by…adding modifiers to an object.…So, we can go into Modifiers,…and you'll see that we have a number of…different categories of modifiers.…
The one that we wanna look for is mesh editing.…And you'll see that we have a lot of these.…But, the two main ones are Edit Mesh and Edit Poly.…And these will allow us to do more free-form modeling.…Now, we can get to it from here,…or we can go over here to the command panel,…and under the modify tab.…And you'll see that we have a modifier list.…And if we scroll down you'll see that…we have all of the same modifiers.…They're just not organized like they are in the interface.…
But I'm gonna go ahead and select Edit Poly.…Now, Edit Poly is the one that…
This course isn't designed to teach you the basics, but to help you refresh your 3ds Max skills and prepare for the exam topics. Once you're finished with the course, you can feel confident taking the 3ds Max Certified Professional exam.
- What is 3ds Max certification?
- Importing data
- Using scenes
- Configuring viewports
- Transforming, duplicating, and cloning objects
- Polygonal modeling
- Editing splines
- Setting up cameras and lighting
- Working with materials
- Rendering scenes
- Animating models
- Rigging characters
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 11/01/2017. What changed?
A: The following topics were updated: working with camera settings and FOV, understanding standard light types, using the Slate Material Editor, understanding standard materials, understanding Arnold materials, and assigning 3ds Max renderers.
1. Certification Basics
Using the Certiport website1m 27s
2. Fundamental 3ds Max Skills
3. Modeling Tools in 3ds Max
4. Cameras and Lighting
5. Materials and Shading
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.