Join Zaheer Mukhtar for an in-depth discussion in this video Placing planks on the roof, part of 3ds Max: Stylized Environment for Animation.
- [Instructor] Now I am going to distribute these planks…over this structure.…I will start with the planks for the roof.…Remember, I mentioned this earlier,…that these five different planks layers…are for the roof, and these are actually for the walls.…For the roof one, I'm going to hold shift,…and drag it, and make a copy.…I should have a backup here…in case something goes wrong.…Another thing I would like to mention here is that,…if I was to do this without explanation…and not for the tutorial,…I would have actually textured these now,…but since I have to explain the texture creation process,…I will just texture them later.…
One benefit of texturing these planks earlier…is that it saves you time on selecting them again,…and selecting individual objects,…and texturing them later.…It doesn't matter, once you understand the process.…Later, if you are doing a project,…you can then texture it.…Now, I will rotate this 90 degrees.…My angle snap toggle is turned on,…so I had actually five degrees gap, if you notice,…and minus five, then minus ten.…
First, Zaheer explores artistic ways to block out the basic forms of your structure, such as using exaggerated proportions and irregular, tilted shapes. Next, he shows how to add details to the forms. Then he demonstrates how to add the more stylized elements including textures, imported materials, color refinements, and lighting. He wraps up the course by wrapping up the workflow, making final render passes and preparing the scene for export. Along the way, he covers art creation, modeling, compositing, and more.
- Exploring the elements of stylization
- Analyzing a reference image
- Blocking out basic shapes
- Reshaping forms
- Creating details
- Creating stylized elements
- Creating materials in 3ds Max
- Color correcting materials
- Preparing materials for export
- Importing elements into a scene
- Adding lights to a scene
- Setting up V-Ray Renderer
- Fixing issues with renders and lights
- Compositing render passes in Photoshop
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
1. Blocking Out Basic Shapes
2. Adding Details to Basic Shapes
3. Creating Stylized Details
4. Creating Textures, Exporting, and Rendering
Next steps1m 54s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.