Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Physical material emission for environments, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting.
- [Instructor] To fully art direct…our interior day lighting shot,…we can opt to use a different workflow instead…of the sun positioner…and the physical sun and sky environment.…Let's use a geometric sphere that emits light…similar to what we did…in the previous chapter with mental ray.…I'll go ahead and create a sphere.…Go to the Create Panel,…and in Standard Primitives,…we can create a sphere near the origin…in the top view.…Right click to exit sphere creation.…Set the radius to 500 meters…and the number of segments to 120.…
Let's flip the normals so that the sphere will be facing…inward and the modifier list,…scroll down and add a normal modifier…and flip normal is enabled.…We don't need to bother with the object properties…in this case because we can't even…do things like turn shadows on and off.…We just need to make sure that any lights that we have…need to be inside this sphere.…Otherwise it will cast a shadow onto our scene.…Let's position it at the origin.…Go to the Move Tool…and simply type in zeros for X and Y.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2016)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.