Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Peel mapping tools, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] The Peel rollout offers a variety of tools…for working with UVW mapping coordinates,…that range from quick and easy minimal click solutions…going all the way up to more complex…but highly configurable controls, such as Pelt mapping.…As Pelt mapping will be the subject…of its very own exercise, though,…we are going to focus in this video…on the rest of the tools found in the Peel rollout.…Indeed, what we cover here will help…give us a good grounding for our Pelt mapping lesson,…given that many of the options we look at here…will need to be used when working with Pelt mapping also.…
To make a start, then, let's select our head geometry again,…hit the peak, so that we can focus in on the geometry,…and then, of course, come across to the Modify tab…in the Command panel where we can access the Peel rollout.…Now initially, the tools here are unavailable…as we need to make use of sub-object modes…in order to gain access.…For the majority of our work, then,…we will probably find ourselves in Edge mode.…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.