Apply modifiers to selected sub-objects.
- [Aaron] So far in this course…we've applied modifiers to entire objects,…but you can also apply modifiers…to parts of objects or sub-objects.…And there are a couple of ways to do that.…I'm going to first show you the non-destructive way.…Which is using a volume select modifier…to select part of an object and then pass…that selection up the stack to be processed.…In this case, I want to actually delete polygons.…
If this were a game model, I could save a little bit…on my polygon budget by deleting the faces…on the bottom of the stand.…If I select that and tumble underneath it,…there are a bunch of polygons underneath here…that no one's ever going to see.…So I can actually just cull those out.…And I can do that non-destructively…using the modifier stack.…So at the top of the modifier stack is the bend modifier.…We want to select that so that…we're adding something above the bend.…
From the modifier list, we have…some selection modifiers at the top.…Let's do volume select or vol select.…And we get a gizmo that by default is the size…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.