Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Next steps, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Joel] Having come to the end…of our UVW Mapping in 3ds Max course,…I would like to first of all say,…thank you very much for taking the time…to work through this material with me.…I really hope that we just helped you…get to grips with UVW mapping tools available…inside the application.…Before we go our separate ways though,…I would like to share a suggestion or two…regarding further areas of study…that could perhaps prove useful in your learning endeavors.…Starting, and as we should,…with my often repeated advice to practice.…Developing a number of small personal projects…that give you the opportunity to experiment with…a variety of tools and doing this without…having any kind of deadline pressure…sitting on your shoulders…can be very beneficial indeed.…
Once we have modeled and UVW mapped the objects…and environments that we are wanting to create, of course,…the next logical step is to add materials.…And then light and render them.…To that end, you may also want to check out…a number of other courses found in the Lynda.com library,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Tips, Tricks & Techniqueswith Aaron F. Ross4h 15m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.