Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video New ray-traced SSS shader, part of V-Ray 3.0 for 3ds Max Essential Training.
- Whilst the V-Ray Fast SSS2 material…isn't new to Version 3.0 of V-Ray,…there have been some behind-the-scenes…tweaks to it that are worth…quickly checking out in this video.…Now, seen here, if I just take a render,…we have a very simple setup,…with our dog's head statue sitting…on a shelf in direct sunlight.…With no GI systems enabled and…with just a default V-Ray material applied to it,…all we see from this side of the object is,…for the most part, a solid black silhouette.…Now, of course,…even in previous versions of V-Ray,…if we wanted to create the impression that…this object had been created from something…less dense than granite,…we could add a sub-surface scattering,…or SSS material to it,…in order to create light penetration…in the volume of the geometry,…with probably the best general…purpose choice for this being…the V-Ray Fast SSS2 material.…
One reason for this,…if I just open up the Material Editor…using the M-key and then…jump into the dog bust tab,…is the fact that the Fast SSS2 material…comes with this handy open running…
- Using the new UI elements, Quick Settings, and revamped Frame Buffer
- Understanding color mapping modes
- Adding V-Ray light types
- Working with the V-Ray Sun and Sky systems and dome light
- Using irradiance mapping and light cache
- Working with diffuse color maps
- Making reflective materials
- Creating a translucency effect
- Using the new SSS and skin shaders
- Ensuring quality with image sampling
- Working with the adaptive subdivision engine
- Controlling the physical camera
- Working with FX tools such as VRayFur and VRayMetaball
- Stereoscopic 3D rendering
- Using Render Mask
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Introduction and Important Information
1. Getting Ready to Render with V-Ray
2. Key Lighting Tools
3. Global Illumination
4. V-Ray Materials and Maps
5. Quality Control with Image Sampling
6. Working with Cameras
The V-Ray Physical Camera
V-Ray 3 & the 3ds Max Physical Camera
7. The V-Ray FX Tools
What's next?1m 47s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.