Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Multi-tile UVs (UDIMs), part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] One mapping technique…that is quite popular these days…makes use of multiple zero to one UV spaces…on a single mesh in order to gain higher texture fidelity.…Using multi-tile UVs in 3ds Max…is quite simple and so,…let's take a look at how we'd go about doing that.…Opening up the UV Editor then…we see a number of UV clusters…that could benefit from having…higher texture resolution applied.…For example, maybe in the project we are creating…the camera needs to spend a lot of time…close up to the robot's head.…To make the selection easier,…we will use a 3D view port…and so, over in the command panel…let's make sure that we are in polygons of object mode…and that the select by XY element toggle is enabled.…
We can then click and drag in the view port…to grab all of the head UV clusters…and back in the UV Editor,…let's repack these clusters by clicking and holding…on the pack custom button…and then select the Settings option.…We can put a check in all of the boxes…and then click OK.…With the free transform tool active,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.