Daytime and nighttime lighting can actually be very similar. In this video, learn how to take a daylight scene and transition it to night by changing the environment and the positions of the sun and fill lights.
- [Instructor] Now let's move on to nighttime lighting. … We're going to take the same scene, … and we're going to light it … for a nighttime or evening scene. … Now, the first thing you want to do … is just take your existing lights … and readjust them so that they're closer … to a nighttime lighting model. … Now, with nighttime, … the sun is going to move across the sky, … so things such as sunlight and moonlight will change things … such as the direction of the shadows and the lighting. … So the first thing I'm going to do … is just cop out to my top view, … and I'm going to select my sunlight object. … And I'm going to move it … basically on the opposite side of the scene. … So I'm going to bring it here, so it's about 45 degrees. … And then I'm going to select this fill light … and move that into the sunlight's place. … So in other words, … we're just making the main light in the scene … come from the opposite direction. … As if you would see that in evening. … Now we also have a morning sky in this scene, …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.