Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling environment geometry, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Environment mapping and the skylight are the…conventional way of using image based lighting.…However, there are some limitations that we can…work around by using an actual piece of geometry.…First of all, as I said previously, we cannot turn…off this background in the RGB pixels of our rendering.…We can replace that in post, but it's…always going to render no matter what we do.…If we replace this with a piece of geometry, then we can…actually hide it from the camera and render whatever background color we want.…
Additionally, a piece of geometry is much…easier to manipulate than the environment background here.…And for two reasons, one, we can select a piece of geometry…and directly rotate it and see what we're getting in the view port.…And additionally, there's a limitation of spherical environment mapping in…3DS Max in which we cannot rotate in the longitudinal direction.…Let me show you what I'm talking about.…We'll go into the material editor and we want to…find the bit map node that's on the environment.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.