Use a modifier to model a symmetrical object.
- [Narrator] Earlier in the course…we saw how to use the mirror tool…to reproduce an object and reflect it on an axis.…In this case we're going to use a different tool…which is symmetry, and that has the advantage…of actually welding the seam…which will give us really good results…when we apply a subsequent open SubDiv modifier.…Select the box which is the chair task seat cushion…and apply a symmetry modifier.…Notice, before you do so, that the pivot point…is located right on the seam.…
From the modifier list…scroll down and add a symmetry modifier.…And it's defaulted to reflect along the X axis…and to use the pivot point…as the center for that reflection.…In this case I don't need to change anything…I've got a perfect result.…And we're also welding on that seam…according to a threshold of .254 centimeters.…Now I'll add the open SubDiv modifier…and because the symmetry is welding the seam…we won't get any seams here when we shape our model.…
Go into the modifier list and add an open SubDiv.…Increase the iterations to two.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.