Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Metal, rough to spec, and gloss conversion for Arnold v4, part of 3ds Max: Substance to Arnold.
- [Instructor] When someone tells you…that you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole,…what they usually mean is that…you are trying to do something that is not as designed.…And so maybe you ought to think about…either not doing it at all, or at the very least,…consider doing it another way.…In our previous exercise then, we concluded the lesson…with a completed metal/rough graph,…sitting inside a spec/gloss graph.…With the output channels for each of these…being very different.…So base color, metal and roughness on the one hand,…diffuse, specular, and glossiness on the other.…
A square peg, trying to fit into a round hole essentially.…Thankfully, altering the situation…is a very simple thing to do in Substance Designer.…And so with our mouse cursor in the graph view,…let's hit the space bar key,…type the word convert into the search field,…and then choose the aptly named…Basecolor_metallic_roughness_converter node.…Which, as it's name suggests,…will take the channels that make this red brick node…a metal/rough substance, and by default,…
- Why should we use substances?
- Choosing a substance workflow
- Using Bitmap2Material in 3ds Max
- Building up your material
- Working with substances and maps from the Designer application
- Using a substance with Arnold
- Improving your substance results
- Exporting your map types
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Appropriate for all
1. An Overview of the Substance Toolset
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from the Designer Application
4. Working with Maps from the Designer Application
5. Working with Maps from the Painter Application
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.