Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Metal rough to V-Ray spec gloss conversion, part of 3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray.
- [Narrator] When someone tells you…that you are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole,…what they usually mean is that what you're trying…to do is really not the way in which things were designed…to work, and so, maybe we would want to do it another way,…which thankfully, is not the approach…that Allegorithmic have taken when it comes…to the physically based metal rough…and spec gloss workflows that they recommend using…when working inside substance design.…In our previous exercise, we concluded the lesson…with a metal rough material sitting…inside a spec gloss graph with the output channels…for each of these being very different indeed.…
So, base, color, metal, and roughness on the one hand,…and diffuse, specular, and glossiness on the other.…Thankfully, altering matters here is a very simple thing…to do, and so with our mouse cursor in the graph view,…let's hit the space bar key and type the word "converter"…into the search field, and then choose the aptly-named…Base Color Metallic Roughness Converter Node.…
- What are substances and why should we use them?
- Choosing your substance workflow mode
- Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
- Loading the Bitmap2Material node into 3ds Max
- Building your material
- Working with substances from Substance Designer
- Working with maps from Substance Designer
- Exporting the map types
- Exporting maps from Substance Painter
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
1. Overview of Substance Based Tools
The substance toolset4m 9s
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from Substance Designer
4. Working with Maps from Substance Designer
5. Exporting Maps from Substance Painter
What's next?1m 33s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.